Houston’s Best Restaurants for Low Carb, Keto Dining
Houston is home to one of the best, most diverse food scenes in the country. Your low-carb diet shouldn’t stop you from indulging in the Bayou City’s wide selection of cuisines. By planning ahead you can make any dining experience suitable for your diet. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when comparing online menus and when dining out:
- Avoid starches — this means no potato sides, unfortunately. Ask if you can sub for other veggie options instead.
- Skip dishes that say “breaded,” “coated,” or “fried,” and opt instead for meats that are grilled or baked.
- You don’t have to give up noodles and rice for good — many restaurants have delicious alternatives like zucchini noodles and cauliflower rice.
- If you’re in the mood for sushi, ask if your rolls can be made with cucumber instead of rice.
- Take the breaded buns off the burgers and ask for lettuce buns instead.
- Many sauces have added sugars (ketchup, barbeque sauce, & sriracha). Instead, look for Keto-friendly sauces like ranch, blue cheese, soy sauce, mustard, and mayonnaise.
- There are several low-carb alcoholic beverages, including but not limited to champagne, dry wines, light beers, and spirits.
- Diners are a great option for low-carb options like omelletes, salads (no croutons), and cheesy meat dishes.
- No sugar-free desserts on the menu? Top off your meal with a coffee mixed with cream!
It’s possible to eat Keto at almost any restaurant with proper planning, but sometimes you want a menu that takes the guesswork out of the process. Luckily, there are several restaurants chock-full with Keto options in Houston. Here are a few of the best:
Caroline’s A Healthy Eatery Restaurant and Bakery (Spring, TX) $$$
(Upper Kirby) $$
This Upper Kirby favorite blends Indian cuisine with French in an eclectic spot with warm decor and a well lit patio, perfect for both indoor and outdoor dining. They cater specifically to Keto and Paleo diets and have a dedicated Keto menu featuring delicious menu items like Keto Carbonara Pasta and Keto Hot Fudge Sundaes. Fear not — they also have a menu for Keto cocktails and a selection of Keto CBD infused specialties. Check them out here at their website!
(Uptown, and The Heights) $$
Dubbed “a yogi’s dream,” Flower Child is known for their health-conscious mission and their designated yoga mat parking. Their menu focuses on nourishment and sources fresh, local ingredients that are sugar-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free. With three locations in Houston (the Heights, Uptown, and the Heights), it’s convenient to grab a quick bite or to stay and dine in their clean and spacious restaurant. Their menus feature several Keto-friendly items, and their star Keto dish, the Keto Turkey Sausage & Zucchini Lasagna, has rave reviews. Check them out here at their website!
(Spring, TX) $$
The Branch is the perfect spot for grabbing a guilt-free beer and snack. Spring Branch native Kyle Pierson creates elevated pubfare, building upon his past experiences working with other Houston staples like the Hay Merchant, Anvil, and Underbelly. While the gastropub has food to appeal to every palette, their separate Keto menu is perfect to pair with any of their whiskies or craft beers on tap. The ‘Keto Fried Steak/Chicken’, ‘Keto Peanut Butter Patty Melt’, and ‘Keto Gen. Tso’s Buffalo Chicken’ are only a few of the menu’s delicious grubs. Check
them out here at their website!
State of Grace
(River Oaks) $$$
This River Oaks gem is well known for their unparalleled customer service and sophisticated take on Texan cuisine. If you’re looking for an upscale eatery with low-carb options, State of Grace’s menu boasts Keto friendly dishes like their wood-roasted prime steaks with bearnaise sauce and ‘Gulf Fish of the Day’. A highlight of this spot is their Oyster bar, which has one of the best selections in all of Houston. Plus, if you come in during their happy hour lunch (Monday through Friday, 11-6 pm), you can take advantage of their incredible $1.50 per oyster special. Check them out here at their website!
We’d be remiss to not mention our own bakery, Houston’s best post-restaurant destination for guilt-free Keto desserts! Our soft-baked sugar-free, gluten-free bites are made with wholesome ingredients like almond flour, eggs, butter, and coconut oil. Our sugar substitutes, allulose and monk fruit are all-natural, zero carb, and safe for diabetics and people with metabolic conditions. We’d love for you to stop by our location in Houston’s Spring Branch to taste for yourself! Check us out!