How to Make Keto Coconut Shrimp
This week we are trying out another epic savory recipe from Sugarless Crystals: Keto Coconut Shrimp. These crispy, crunchy shrimp are packed with flavor, and because we used a special ingredient in the breading they are also 100% low carb and keto-approved. Hungry yet? Let's get cooking!
Keto Coconut Shrimp Recipe:
- 6 ounces raw peeled deveined shrimp
- 1/2 cup pork rind breadcrumbs (you can grind up your own, but we also recommend Pork Kings!)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon granulated sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Thaw shrimp. Then place shrimp between paper towels and press excess water out. You need to do this before frying to keep excess water from coming out during the frying process.
- Combine breadcrumbs, shredded coconut, salt, pepper and granulated sweetener
- In a bowl beat 2 eggs and add coconut extract
- Prep all shrimp by dipping in egg wash then into breadcrumb mix
- In a frying pan heat oil to medium high, do not have oil too hot. If it's too hot the breading will burn immediately.
- Place shrimp in and space them out, don't crowd the pan. By the time you place them all down it should be time to flip them. This is how fast this recipe cooks. Check for a golden color of course and pink tails.
- For doneness, if the heat is the right temperature by the time the crust is golden the shrimp will be fully cooked.
- Remove from oil when golden then serve.
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Watch the oil, if the oil gets too hot you will burn the crust and you won't have the golden look you see in the photos. Having the heat around a medium/high heat is perfect.
- Bread all shrimp before cooking, this will make things go super smooth because the shrimp cook super fast. You'll be finish cooking in 5 minutes.
- Can I sub pork rinds for almond flour, yes you can but the shrimp may not be crispy at all. Trust me the shrimp don't taste like pork rinds.
- Air fryer instructions, as mentioned above I have not made them in the air fryer. If using breadcrumbs they should still be tasty and come out crispy. For reference, I'd start with 350ºF at 3-5 minutes each side.
Thanks for dropping by the ChipMonk Baking blog! Be sure to check back regularly for the latest keto recipes and lifestyle tips from the ChipMonks. And if you haven't already, don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter or text CHIPMONK to (833) 645-0998 to join the ChipMonk rewards program. Ready for another delicious keto recipe? Check this out: