How to Make Low Carb, Keto Skillet Lasagna (Recipe)
Lasagna is one of those comfort dishes that many people crave when starting a diet or a new eating plan. The truth is no one should have to miss out on family lasagna nights, regardless of what diet they are on; here is a low carb and keto-friendly recipe for that traditional family favorite.
Low carb lasagna in a skillet
Lasagna without the noodles is like macaroni without cheese. It doesn't sound quite right. How does one make keto-friendly lasagna? A little prep in the kitchen helps make things move a lot faster and ensures that your lasagna comes out perfectly. The 'noodles' are cheesy, and just the right amount of chewy, the whole family will love this recipe, they won't even miss the pasta.
A thing to note with most no or low-carb meals, they are a little on the softer side. This recipe is best suited to a Cast Iron Skillet, as the heat is evenly dispersed and the dish retains heat. The fat from the ground beef is also vital to creating flavor; the skillet absorbs flavor and makes this one-skillet dish extra tasty.
Keto-friendly skillet lasagna
- 1 lb lean ground beef, or Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 cups low carb Marinara sauce, (homemade is best, however double check the calories, and carbs if using store-bought)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese; use cottage cheese instead if you prefer
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 large eggs
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, and parmesan cheese
The noodles: Cook time - 20 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a 9 x 13' baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream the eggs and cream cheese together with a handheld blender. Add the Italian seasoning, garlic, and onion powder. Once combined, fold the mozzarella cheese into the mixture. Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet, and spread it out evenly.
- Bake the cheese mixture for 20 minutes. Cool the noodles into the fridge for at least 25 minutes. Slice into noodles that fit your skillet.
The filling: Cook time - 15 minutes
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Saute the onion until soft and golden, add the ground beef, garlic, basil, Italian seasoning, and a dash of salt to the skillet. Once the meat has browned, add the marinara sauce.
- Lower the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes. Once cooked down, remove the meat filling from the skillet and set aside.
The lasagna: Cook time - 20 minutes
- Layer the marinara meat mixture into the bottom of the skillet. Top with a layer of keto 'noodle.' Next, layer more of the meat mixture on top. Spoon 3 tablespoons of ricotta cheese on top of the meat before adding another layer of noodles; for the final layer, top with the meat mixture and remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown and melted.
Low carb skillet lasagna
This easy keto lasagna recipe is low in carb and tasty. There is no doubt it can give traditional lasagna a run for its money with taste and flavor. This recipe has 5.6g of net carbs per serving, making this the ideal meal that tastes like a cheat day.
If you don't have enough time, you can make the noodle mixture and omit the eggs, and layer the cheesy mixture on top of the meat as you would with noodles. Bake for 25 minutes and allow to set for 10 minutes. The lasagna can be soft if you do not allow it to set.
When it comes to keto and carb-free living, there are plenty of alternatives to traditional lasagna sheets. Try using Slices of zucchini instead of pasta sheets or making your doughy sheets from Fathead dough. Whichever method you use, be sure to re-calculate the macros and adjust for the total net carbs.
This recipe's beauty lies in the fact that it can be prepared in advance and frozen for quick and easy meal prep. If you are making this recipe freeze, you can freeze it once baked or assemble and freeze before baking; both methods work well. Keto lasagna will become a weekly installment in your home in no time.
Thanks for dropping by ChipMonk Baking! For the latest low carb recipes, products, and deals be sure to subscribe to our Weekly Newsletter. And if you're ready for even more low carb baking be sure to check out this delicious recipe for Gluten Free Chicken Tenders, or click here to see all of ChipMonk's FREE keto recipes: