How to Make the Ultimate Keto BBQ Feast
Grilling season is upon us! And the ChipMonks can’t think of a better way to spend our summer afternoon than cooking up our favorite keto-friendly barbecue recipes. If you are practicing a low carb or ketogenic diet, follow along, because we’ll be cooking step-by-step towards the ultimate Keto Summer BBQ. First things first:
How to Make Keto BBQ Sauce:
Most BBQ sauces are packed with excess sugar and carbs and simply aren’t compatible with the low carb lifestyle. Fortunately our friends over at LowCarbMaven have put together this deliciously simple recipe for the perfect keto-friendly BBQ sauce:
- 6 oz tomato paste (in a 6 oz can) (170 g)
- 2 cans water (use the tomato paste can) (12 oz/ 340 g)
- 1/2 can apple cider vinegar (use the can to measure) (3 oz/ 85 g)
- 1/2 can red wine vinegar (use the can to measure) (3 oz/ 85 g)
- 1/3 cup low carb brown sugar (or preferred keto sweetener)
- 1/2 cup diced onion (2 oz/ 57 g)
- 1 tsp minced garlic (1 large clove)
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper
- 1 tsp Hickory Liquid Smoke
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp butter (to be added after cooking)
1. Add the first 10 ingredients into a medium saucepan and simmer for 45 minutes (or longer if you prefer a thicker sauce)
2. Measure the remaining ingredients into the BBQ sauce and blend with a stick blender (or use a blender) until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings. Taste the next day and adjust further as it will mellow upon cooling. This results in a tangy sauce. (SEE BELOW FOR A VARIATION.)
3. Cool completely, pour into a clean air tight container, and refrigerate up to 10 days.
4. VARIATION: Saute the onions and garlic in 1 tbsp butter until softened, then add the rest of the ingredients. Add the remaining butter after cooking. This results in a more mellow flavored sauce.
Makes 2 1/2 – 3 cups. Serving size is 2 tbsp and is 1 net carb per serving.
Nutrition: Calories: 28kcal | Carbohydrates: 1.6g | Protein: 0.33g | Fat: 2.3g | Fiber: 0.6g | Sugar: 1.1g
Now let’s move on to the meats! The sauce we just made is perfect for any kind of BBQ, but we’re craving ribs, so let’s dive in to our favorite Keto-Friendly Baby Back Rib Recipe:
How to Make Keto BBQ Ribs
large sheet pan
- 2 full racks baby back ribs
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp BBQ Dry Rub for Chicken and Pork (or your favorite)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Keto BBQ Sauce (or your favorite)
- Remove the skin off the back (bone side) of each rack of ribs: Using a thin paring knife (or flathead screwdriver), slide it under the clear membrane over one of the bones. Lift up to separate and pull-off with your fingers or with a paper towel. It comes off in sheets and takes a little time. Be patient.
- Line a large sheet pan with aluminum foil. Preheat oven to 275 F and move rack to middle position.
- Dry the ribs with paper towels and rub olive oil on both sides of ribs, 1/2 tbsp per side. Season the back of the ribs with salt and pepper, then apply 1/2 tbsp of the dry rub and massage into the ribs. Flip the racks over and repeat on the meat side.
- Cover the ribs with foil, sealing around the outside rim of the baking sheet, and cook 2 – 2 1/2 hours or until the tines of a fork slide easily between the ribs.
For Keto Dry Ribs:
1. Remove the foil cover and place the ribs on a rack fitted into the sheet pan. Sprinkle more salt and pepper and dry rub over the ribs and cook an additional 20-30 minutes uncovered.
For Sauced Keto Ribs:
1. Turn the broiler to high and place the oven rack to the closest position. Remove the foil cover and flip the ribs bone side up. Slather the back of the ribs with bbq sauce, approximately 2 tbsp each. Place the ribs under the broiler for 3-5 minutes or until the sauce begins to darken in spots. The time will depend on your oven broiler. Remove the ribs from the oven, flip them over and repeat.
Serve 4 ribs per person. Net Carbs per 4 ribs with ingredient amounts stated: 2.79g net carbs
Nutrition: Calories: 445kcal | Carbohydrates: 3.39g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 32.5g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 134mg | Sodium: 582mg | Potassium: 467mg | Fiber: 0.6g | Sugar: 0.79g | Vitamin A: 40IU | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 1.4mg
Of course no barbecue would be complete without our favorite sides, so let’s whip up some Almond Roasted Green Beans:
How to Make Almond Roasted Green Beans
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/16 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 12 ounces green beans fresh, washed and dried, ends removed
- Sea Salt
- black pepper freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons almonds sliced
- Preheat oven to 425º Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, if desired, for easy clean-up.
- In a large bowl, mix together the avocado oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the green beans and mix to coat the beans with the oil. Spread the beans on the prepared baking sheet. (Do not wash out the bowl.) Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Add the sliced almonds to the bowl and stir them to allow them to absorb any oil and garlic left in the bowl. Set aside.
- Roast the green beans in the preheated oven for about 8 minutes, the stir and return to the oven for 5-7 minutes more. Stir in the almonds and roast 3-5 minutes longer, or until desired doneness. (Recipe makes 4 servings)
Nutrition: Calories: 84kcal | Net Carbs: 3g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g
And the final piece de resistance for our ultimate keto barbecue is a fan favorite: Keto-Friendly Corn Bread. Time to do what the ChipMonks do best. Let’s get baking!
How to Make Keto Corn Bread
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or 1/2 teaspoon table salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup melted salted butter, plus more for the pan
- Gather the ingredients. Heat the oven to 325 F.
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, salt, baking soda, eggs, and heavy cream to a mixing bowl. Whisk together until combined. Add in the melted butter and continue to mix together until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Generously grease a 9 or 10-inch cast iron skillet with butter.
- Pour the batter into the greased skillet. Place it in the preheated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
- Allow the cornbread to cool for about five minutes and then slice. Serve with butter.
We hope you enjoy ChipMonk’s ultimate summer Barbecue as much as we did! If you’re looking for the perfect low carb summer cocktail to pair with your meal, be sure to check out ChipMonk’s Favorite Keto Summer Cocktails! And don’t forget to check back regularly for the latest keto recipes and lifestyle tips from the ChipMonks. And if you haven't already, subscribe to our newsletter and text CHIPMONK to (833) 645-0998 to join the ChipMonk rewards program